Tuesday, 22 September 2009

August - September Update

Me again. It seems I have been suffering a slump as of late. I think those Japanese classes really took more out of me than I thought it would. I haven't felt like doing much of anything for over a month! I need to find a way to shake the cobwebs out of my brain...

Hopefully my upcoming trip to the Eurogamer Expo 2009 should do the trick, but that's on at the end of October. A very long wait indeed!

///////////////////////////////

I can however find hope in the knowledge that some of my favourite shows are coming back on TV very soon! Heroes season 5 (or is it 4?) will open up with the main villain Sylar stuck impersonating Nathan Petrelli after the events of last season, but you know it's only a matter of time before that dark persona once again rears it's ugly head! My only hopes for this season are that Hiro and Ando get a better story this time round, and that they break away from the whole "government catching mutants" theme and move back onto the earlier seasons faster pace.

Another series which is making it's way onto our screens is the brand new Stargate series known as "Universe". I am a longtime fan of the Stargate franchise ever since SG1, and was very disappointed when I heard they were cancelling SG Atlantis so early on in it's run. I was even more dismayed when I heard I was being replaced by a new show with an all new cast, and a darker more serious direction. When I heard about it, I believe my first words were: What is this?! Battlestar Galactica?!

Despite my dismay at the whole situation, I am still willing to give this show a chance to change my mind. It is after all made my the same people as the previous shows. Only time will tell...

////////////////////////

Recently, I have been VERY annoyed by Sony because of one thing:

Playstation 3

I'm sure I have mentioned before how frustrating is is to own a "Next Gen" console like the PS3. Pretty much everything you would normally do with a console from the last generation is unusually more difficult and frustrating with the PS3. Confused? Let me explain.

At least 30% of the games I own are prone to unusual and unexpected freezes and crashes during gameplay. The built-in internet browser is very unstable, and also freezes on a regular basis. It is also unable to open up a lot of my fav web pages due to out of date flash players, which can't be updated.

The ultimate problem however, is the mandatory firmware updates that need to be used whenever they appear, and as a result the PS3 will not allow you to do things like access the PSN network or play games online without it. Also, with the release of the new PS3 Slim, a new firmware has been released that dramatically changes a lot of features on ALL versions of the console and you have no say in the matter as to whether you want it or not!

I'm not afraid to say that I have been very disappointed with the service that has been provided by Sony on PS3. Instead of playing on a top end powerful gaming console, I feel like I have been lumbered with a low spec desktop computer that plays games well 50% of the time, and does everything else rubbishly, if rubbishly is even a word, and if it isn't it should be!

I really feel that the current generation of consoles have not lived up to their predecessors, and that maybe Sony and Microsoft should have waited a bit longer before releasing machines that are clearly incomplete machines that need constant nursing in order to be able to do what is is supposed to do! And what's more, I am not happy with this current trend of games publishers releasing a new game with bugs and glitches still in the game with the intention of "fixing" them afterwards.

In no way should this be acceptable, and in any other retail market to do so would guarantee to loose customers and infuriate fans of the product, and yet it seems us gamers are more than happy to fork over our hard-earned money for substandard products! This ain't right dammit!! >_<

That's my rant over for now, but you can be sure that this is not the end of my opinion on the matter!

Ironically, there are still a couple of games I'm looking forward to in the coming year including Bayonetta, from the makers of Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy XIII and Gran Turismo 5. I can only hope Sony can keep things on track and not mess these ones up as well!

/////////////////////////////

That's it for now, I might do a couple of smaller updates on specific stuff in the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

No comments: