Monday, 15 October 2007

Whatever it takes to save the one you love!

It's been a hell of a ride, and I have every intention of making sure this ride goes on for as long as possible! What da heck I'm I talking about? I'm talking about my beloved, my one and only....Playstation 2!

I've had my PS2 for nearly 4 years now. It's one of the older, fatter versions (not the infinitely more sexy slimline versions). I bought it second hand because I had a clever plan of getting it chipped/modified, so that I could play American and Japanese PS2 games (for more details, refer to my previous post about NTSC vs PAL).

It was an all or nothing gambit, which more or less paid of handsomely, allowing me the freedom to choose whatever game I wanted, from where ever I wanted, AND to be able to get games that I would normally have to wait months to be able to play in the UK!

Unfortunately, there is ONE game that has foiled this perfect arrangement. The name of this game is Rogue Galaxy.

This game is created by Level 5, the developers that created the critically acclaimed Dragon Quest 8 (which I loved!). Sufficed to say, when I heard about this game, I knew I wanted to get the American version as soon as possible! My good friends at Ebay were more than happy to oblige, and I was able to get a brand new copy almost immediately after it's official release! Then the trouble started. -_-;

At first, the problems were slight, like the game freezing during the combat scenes or imediately after a cutscene. Over time these problems escalated into utter disaster, leaving me with a game that at best would crash after 10 minutes, or at worse woudn't even load up.

Now it has to be noted that there are a lot of factors that have contributed to my inability to play this game like any other game that I currently own. Virtually every game I have ever bought has worked on my PS2, baring the occasional loading error. I have never had an experience where a game just outright refused to load, even though there is no logical reason for it not doing so. Quite frankly, it pisses me off! >_<

As a result, I have decided to take the quite drastic measure of getting my PS2 serviced at a game shop in central London. In all honesty, this was a good idea in itself, because my machine probably has more dust in it than a haunted house. A good clear-out of the gubbins inside can only be a good thing, and I would wholeheartedly recommend any console user who cares for their machine to get it serviced once in a while. It's just common sense.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees that this servicing will fix the problem, mainly because of the age of my PS2. It may even come to a point where I have to pay to get the laser replaced. But you know something? This machine, which I have invested so much time and effort into is so important to me, I was willing to take the chance. You could almost say it's like a girlfriend or beloved pet or something, which in itself is a pretty pathetic thing to say. What can I say? I love my PS2 so much, I'm willing to compare it to a girlfriend or a beloved pet! ^_^ (I really need to get out more!)

Only time will tell whether this gambit will pay off, but I sincerely hope it does! Right now, I really can't afford to lose this machine, mainly because the Playstation 3 is barely even a viable replacement, and there are still plenty of decent PS2 games out there to play (ever heard of Valkyrie Profile Silmeria?). Right now I'm a content Playstation 2 gamer, and I intent for it to stay like that for a good while longer!

No comments: