Friday, 7 September 2007

Computer Maintenence for Dummies

Yesterday, I just couldn't face goin into work, so I just phoned in to tell them I wasn't coming in. Normally I wouldn't do something like this unless I felt really ill, but to be quite honest, I'm way past caring what the hell happens to everyone while I'm away. They'll just go and bother some other hapless chump that happens to vaguely know how to do my job (which isn't many).

Anyway, I took the opportunity to relax a bit, watch some Gundam Zeta and try to restore my laptop to it's former glory. Last week, I was blindsided by one of those damn "let us scan your machine for spyware!" trojan popups. They're not fatal, but can seriously disrupt the daily workings of your machine. To make matters worse, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't remove it either. I was left with no other option but to use my system reboot disk and start again from ground zero.

I had done the same thing earlier this year, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a system reboot disk for their machine, and if you don't I suggest you make one! The only downside is that I have to remove all the software that originally came with the machine when I bought it, and reinstall everything I had lost before.

Suficed to say, I'm not taking any more chances with these damn trojans anymore! They piss me off!

An idea had sprung to mind as I was reinstalling all the software I normally use on my laptop. No matter how carefull I am in the future, there's always a chance that the same thing could happen again in the future, and I'd have to go through the same crap all over again.

But, what if I could create a backup copy of my hard drive as it is now, so that when it happens, all I have to do is use that backup to restart my machine. This would mean I would have all the software I use already in place, with all my settings and preferences already set up, saving me time, effort, pain and mysery!

I'm currently doing research into how to create this "Miracle Boot Disk". All I have at the moment is the name of a software known as "Norton Ghost". If I can find this software, or something similar, I might just pull this off!

No comments: