Tuesday, 21 August 2007

Streets of Rage: The Love Triangle Series

For those that don't know, I've recently taken to writing short stories in my spare time (When I can find the time!). To make things easier for me, I write about stuff I already know about, which is mainly stories about characters from video games and anime. I believe the correct term is fanfiction or "fanfic" for short.

I greatly enjoy putting my own spin on esablished characters, and placing them in unusual and unfamiliar situations (often with hilarious results!). One of my favorite series to write about is the Sega game "Streets of Rage".

I grew up playing the second and third Streets of rage games on my Sega Megadrive games console. I would play for hours on end, imersing myself in the world of Axel Stone, Adam and Skate Hunter and Blaze Fielding as they strolled through the streets kicking the crap out of any punk stipid enough to get in their way. I would almost always play as Axel, because he was so cool, but over time I grew to love Blaze more.

She was the kind of girl that was street smart and sexy, badass but feminine. A contradiction of elements that somehow seemed to fit her so well, and quite unlike the other characters. I wanted to create a series celebrating Blaze and at the same time taking the piss out of the series in general. From this thought, the "Love Triangle series" was born.

The original premise was this:

Everyone just assumes that it's all about Axel and Blaze getting it on together at the end of each game (even though nothing is ACTUALLY implied as such), but What about Blaze and Adam?All three of them were police officers together in the beginning, and I'm sure that as much as there would've been chemistry between Blaze and Axel, I'm sure the same could be said for her and Adam.

Wouldn't that be a great story arc to play with in any subsequent Streets of Rage game?

"Once you go Black, you never go back!"

The original story was intended to be just a silly, peverted sideways glance at the relationships between Axel, Blaze, and Adam, and was not at all intended to be taken seriously. Over time, as I started to write more episodes, I wanted to change the tone to something more sexy and dynamic, showcasing Blaze's talents as a fighter and as a woman.

I've already uploaded the first few episodes onto my Deviantart account, but I probably will upload them here as well at some point. Stay tuned!

No comments: